Coronavirus Disease, also known as COVID-19 is a pandemic that has brought chaos across nations of the world. The sad part is there is currently no vaccine to prevent the disease.
While there are cases of deaths in some parts of the world, which has led some countries to take strict measures such as national quarantining in order to prevent the spread of the virus, many people are in fear and panic.
People are seen in some parts of the world doing panic buying.
The pandemic has not only affected the health of people, it has affected the economy, travel and even politics.
In the heat of the situation, many people are taking the wrong steps and spreading wrong information about the disease and so, I have put together a few things we all need to know about Corona Virus.
How does it spread ?
Although research is still on as regards other ways by which Corona virus is spread, the basic means of transmission is to basically from person-to-person.
1. It can spread by being in close contact with someone who has it (about 6ft distance).
2. Through respiratory fluid produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
3.One can also get them by touching a surface or object that has the virus and touching their own mouth, nose, or eyes with the contaminated hand.
COVID-19 is one of the viruses that spread easily. It is possible to spread it to other people even before showing symptoms.
People become most contagious when the symptoms manifest fully.
What are the symptoms to look out for?
The symptoms do appear between 2-14 days of exposure, so one cannot tell a person has the virus until after about 14 days when the symptoms are visible enough.
These symptoms include;
3. Shortness of breath
4. Difficulty breathing
5. Persistent pain or pressure in the chest.
6. Confusion or inability to stimulate.
Older adults and people who have severe underlying chronic medical conditions like heart or lung disease or diabetes are more likely to develop serious complications from COVID-19
How to avoid catching the virus
1. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after being in a public place or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
2. Use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, make sure every part of your hand is generously covered and rub them together until they dry.
3. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
4. Avoid close contact with sick people.
5. Avoid crowds as much possible, avoid close contact, touching common places such as handrails, door handles and elevator buttons, avoid staying in poorly ventilated places.
6. If COVID-19 is spreading in your community, always ensure you put a distance between you and other people (6ft minimum).
7. Stay at home if you are sick, you should be out only to get medical care and when you do, ensure you use a nose mask.
8. Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
9. Throw used tissues in the trash can so other people don’t have contact with it.
10. Immediately wash your hands with soap and water.
11. If you are sick, wear a face mask when you are around other people (in a room, or vehicle).
12. You don’t need to wear face mask if you are not sick unless you are taking care of a sick person.
13. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily, this includes tables, doorknobs, toilets, light switches, handles, phones, keyboards, counter-tops and sinks.
Apart from the known disinfectants that can be gotten from local stores, bleach is a good disinfectant, you can dilute a little quantity in water and use.
Alcohol solutions are also good, ensure the solution has at least 70% alcohol.
14. Eat foods that boost your immune system.
Foods like oranges, garlic, ginger, spinach, almonds, red bell pepper, grapefruits, lemons, lime, broccoli, turmeric, pawpaw etc.
I am not saying these foods cure Corona virus, do not misquote me , they only boost the body’s immune system . It is more difficult for diseases to invade a body with a strong immune system.
Eat well, rest well and maintain a good hygiene.
15. Avoid sharing personal household items such as cutlery, drinking cups, towels etc and wash them thoroughly after use.
16. Do not panic !
Fear or panicking is not good for you.
Most times, those who panic unnecessarily do end up causing more damage to themselves than what the disease itself will cause. Panicking will make your brain think with your emotions and this can lead you to make irrational decisions. Panic is destructive, it will make your body to secret stress hormones and stress hormones can lower a person’s immune system, so you see why you need to relax.
Relax, rest, exercise if you can, pray and have faith.
Remember the scripture;
”Fear not ,for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will be with you, I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” – Isaiah 41:10
We will definitely get through this.
In case you notice you have some of the symptoms,
1. Seek medical attention.
2. Call your doctor before going to the doctor’s office or emergency room.
3.Wear a face mask before entering the hospital , if you can’t put on a face mask, keep a reasonable distance from other people.
4. Follow the instructions of your doctor or healthcare provider.